Oakland Literacy Symposium
Save the Date: Oct. 1 – 2
Our inaugural symposium is a two- day virtual conference breaking down barriers, highlighting best practices, and elevating local solutions.
Educators, non-profit providers, community leaders, and parents are encouraged to attend.
Sessions / Workshops
Workshop proposal deadline has passed. For information, please contact symposium@
Literacy: A Liberatory, Civil Right Presented by Dr. Julie Washington
Performance by Youth Speaks
- Professionalizing the Field, Elevating Educators
- Elevating professionals and giving visibility to the field.
- Deepening Practice and Implementing Learning
- Supporting practice throughout the year through our existing, highly engaged Literacy Coalition
- Bridging Learning from the Classroom and Beyond
- Aligning and linking learning across a literacy continuum with a literacy focus.
- Deepening community commitment and practice of strengthening literacy as a tool for equity and driver of change.
Designed with an advisory group of local stakeholders and educators
Teachers and community-based educators learning together in service of students
Grounded in Practice
Practitioner focused, practitioner taught
Program designed around students and communities served.