Reading Everywhere Action Grants
ACTION GRANTS FOR COMMUNITY PROGRAMS
What Are Reading Everywhere Action Grants?
Each school year and summer the Oakland Literacy Coalition invites applications for action grants of up to $500 for reading projects across the community that give away high interest, new books and encourage reading with Oakland children and youth. We have a large quantity of new, free, high interest books in different languages to give to select community and faith based organizations. Grantees are be able to come pick out books from our office for your students and we will award up to $500 in Action Grants for accompanying activities.
We are thrilled to announce that we have awarded grant money and new books to 20 organizations, and books to 6 organizations for the ’23-24 School Year cycle. In total, we awarded $9,775 and 4280 books to the following organizations for their reading projects with Oakland youth.
- Afro Urban Society: Afro Culture Kids Language Flashcards Deck
- American Association of Yemeni Students and Professionals (AAYSP): Ta’alam Literacy Project
- Aspire Education / Community Reading Buddies: Family Reading Night
- BANANAS: The BANANAS Family Literacy Program
- Beebe Memorial Cathedral: Hallelujah/Fall Festival 2023
- Brighter Beginnings: Every Family Matters
- Community Child Care Council (4Cs) of Alameda County: Books Go Everywhere!
- Community Education Partnerships: CEP Literacy Campaign
- East Oakland Youth Development Center: ASLA Book Club (elementary age)
- East Oakland Youth Development Center: Bridge Travels Through History (middle school age)
- ecomonster: #ecomonsterkid earth day is everyday
- GloryTime Daycare: Ready Set Read!
- Harbor House: Family Literacy Night
- Homies Empowerment: Get LITerate
- La Clinica de La Raza: Read While You Wait/Lee mientras esperas
- Lake Merritt United Methodist church: Lake Merritt UMC Teddy Bear Literacy Picnic
- Lao Iu Mien Culture Association, Inc. (LIMCA): Preserve Iu Mien Culture and Promote Literacy
- Lincoln Families: Mandela FRC Playgroups
- Literacy is Fundamental/Who Am I Today: Getting back to the Basics Reading and Writing
- Paradise Baptist Church: Royalty Reads Harvest Day and LIT Lab Celebration
- Rose’s Daycare: Ready Set Read! So We All Succeed!
- Storytime Friends: Read-Aloud Video Series for Oakland Children’s Hospital
- The Acts of Grace, Bay Area Foundation: Children’s Holiday Food and Literacy Event
- The IKUNA Group: Project Fananga
- Trybe Inc: Trybe Reading Program
- Words in the Wild: Happy Readers Story Time with Words in the Wild
What our Reading Everywhere Action Grantees Are Saying:
““In providing support to kinship and foster youth in grades K-12 with their class work and homework, we have noticed that all of our participants struggle with reading and comprehension. With the Literacy Action Grant, we were able to identify and purchase books for our participants within their reading level and encourage literacy. The youth noted their appreciation in receiving the books and several of the caregivers noted that they had read the books to their children or read with their children. The mentors/tutors working with the youth identified the books based on the students’ reading level and interest.”
– Kinship Family Services, who received grant money and books for their Read-Along and Book Giveaway for Kinship Families project
“The project made a difference for the children and their families for one thing because they got to hear the stories, see the books, which have gorgeous illustrations, and keep a book. Being able to meet and talk to the author, gives the kids a very different experience than from just getting a book with no context for the author, especially for young children of color. They can see from an early age that people who look like them can be successful creatives.”
-Oakland Technology & Education Center, who received grant money for an local author visit and to purchase his books
If you have questions about applying for an action grant or book distribution, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.