Community Literacy Action Grants
Summer is a powerful time to share the joy and fun of reading and spark children’s love of language and learning. An action grant from the OLC can help you bring to life your ideas for promoting and celebrating reading with Oakland students and families.
In partnership with Stephen & Ayesha Curry’s Eat. Learn. Play. Foundation, the OLC is currently inviting applications for action grants of $500 to $2,500 for summer reading projects that give away high interest new books and encourage reading with preschool, elementary, and middle school age students in Oakland.
The following are just a few examples of possible projects and we welcome your fun and creative ideas!
- Book clubs where students are given a book to read at home with their families and then come together during program hours for discussion.
- Interactive read-alouds connected to a theme in your program followed by an activity that builds on the book, Each student receives a copy of the book to keep.
Please carefully review the Application Guidelines before applying.
Who Should Apply?
Oakland-based community organizations and faith-based organizations that work with preschool through middle school age children are encouraged to apply. We also welcome applications from informal neighborhood and/or cultural groups and childcare providers.
Your organization does NOT need to have a literacy or education component in order to apply, We believe that literacy happens everywhere and we LOVE working with all kinds of organizations to reach kids where they are and inspire a love of reading.
At this time, we are not accepting applications from schools or school-based summer programs. Please see the information at the bottom of this page regarding requesting books from the OLC for your students.
- All participating students must receive at least one new book to keep. The OLC is happy to work with you to select high quality, culturally affirming, and age-appropriate books.
- We welcome projects and book giveaways that focus on promoting literacy in languages other than English.
- Projects should either directly engage students’ families or share information with families on how to support reading at home. The OLC will provide you with a toolkit of resources.
- Applications will be prioritized that present a clear and compelling idea for how they’ll respond to students’ interests and needs and create engaging opportunities to keep kids reading over the summer break.
- Grant amounts will be awarded based on the estimated number of students served and the scope of the project.
How to Apply:
Interested organizations are asked to submit the brief online request form. We estimate the application should take 15-30 minutes.
We are happy to work with you to come up with an idea for your project or submit your request. Please reach out to us!
- Applications are due Friday, May 28, 2021 by 11:59pm.
- The OLC will announce funding decisions by Monday, June 7.
- Projects must be completed by Sunday, August 15.
- Grantees will be asked to complete a short report by Friday, September 3, 2021.
Please do not submit an application for both an action grant and book distribution.
If you have questions about whether you should apply for an action grant or book distribution, please send us an email at email@example.com.