The Oakland Literacy Coalition is seeking an Outreach Coordinator for our Oakland Reads mini-grants programs. The position will be key in building a broader network of grantee organizations and supporting them to plan and implement fun and impactful family literacy events. Click to download a pdf of the job description.
This is a six-month, part-time independent contractor position. We anticipate that the role will require 6-10 hours per week, the majority of which will be spent off-site with partner organizations in Oakland. We will also have regular check-in meetings at our office near Jack London Square. As an independent contractor, you will have discretion over the means and manner of completing the agreed-upon objectives outlined in the contract.
- Identify and outreach to engage new organizations in the mini grants programs, with an emphasis on building new partnerships with community and faith-based organizations.
- Support new grantees through the planning process, providing guidance and resources so that they successfully execute their vision for the event and fulfill the grant objectives.
- Cultivate a resource and referrals list that can be shared with grantees, including local restaurants and vendors that are willing to partner and provide discounts/resources for family literacy events.
An ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Extensive knowledge of the Oakland community and landscape of community and faith-based organizations and leaders.
- Experience with community organizing and/or outreach.
- Experience planning community or school-based events.
- Ability to work independently and reliably, take initiative, and problem solve.
- A pro-active and conscientious communication style, with strong interpersonal skills and experience working with diverse communities.
- Warmth, humor, flexibility, and optimism.
- Personal and professional commitment to social justice and equity.
- A reliable means of transportation. Ability to travel locally and work occasional evenings and weekends.
The position will be paid hourly at a rate of $18-$20 depending on experience. The initial contract will be for six months with a possibility to extend upon completion. As an independent contractor position, this role is not eligible to receive additional benefits.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two professional references to email@example.com. Please include “Oakland Reads Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line. Applications that are incomplete or do not follow these instructions will not be considered. Applications will be accepted through February 28, 2018 or until the position is filled.
The Oakland Literacy Coalition is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to creating a diverse staff and inclusive environment. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws, the Oakland Literacy Coalition does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin or ancestry, cultural background, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, primary language, citizenship, or immigration status.
The Oakland Literacy Coalition is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this information in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact (510) 280-3547 or firstname.lastname@example.org.