Are you passionate about educational equity and social justice? Looking to apply your talents and expertise in literacy and program development to strengthen an entire field of service providers? The Oakland Literacy Coalition is looking for a dynamic and experienced Program Manager to join our team. Click to download a pdf of the job description.
As a key member of our team, the Program Manager will develop, coordinate, and deliver continuous learning opportunities to our network of members and partners.
The position is full-time (40 hours per week) based out of our office located near Jack London Square. The position will require local travel to off-site meetings and events and occasional evening and weekend hours. The Program Manager will report to the Co-Director, Coalition Network & Initiatives.
- Developing and delivering training modules, workshops, and professional learning opportunities for our organization members and partners, including staff, volunteers, and parents/caregivers.
- Leading the planning and coordination for program activities, including an annual conference, volunteer trainings, and literacy trainings conducted in partnership with external facilitators.
- Providing coaching and individualized technical assistance support to member organizations.
- Assisting with data collection, data entry, program evaluation, and grant reporting.
- Maintaining highest degree of expertise in literacy instruction and best practices.
- Cultivating and maintaining professional relationships with our team and partner organizations.
- Performing additional duties as assigned.
An ideal candidate for this role will have:
- A B.A./B.S. degree or higher.
- At least 3-5 years of instruction/teaching experience in an education or community-based setting; experience in early childhood education and/or elementary grades preferred.
- At least 3-5 years of experience designing programs, curriculum, and/or training modules.
- Demonstrated effectiveness leading and managing projects from concept through implementation.
- Experience developing partnerships and facilitating collaboration to achieve shared outcomes.
- A deep understanding of the developmental stages of reading and writing and familiarity with literacy curriculums and instructional strategies, particularly for the early grades.
- Familiarity with best practices for supporting adult learners.
- Ability to work independently and reliably, take initiative, and problem solve.
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills.
- A pro-active and conscientious communication style, with strong interpersonal skills and experience working with diverse communities.
- Warmth, humor, flexibility, and optimism.
- Personal and professional commitment to social justice and equity.
- Reliable means of transportation. Ability to travel locally and work occasional evenings and weekends.
This is a salaried, exempt position. Compensation level commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, and retirement plans and provides vacation, sick, and holiday pay.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two professional references to email@example.com. Please include “Program Manager, Continuous Learning” in the subject line. Applications that are incomplete or do not follow these guidelines will not be considered. Applications will be accepted through February 28, 2018 or until the position is filled.
The Oakland Literacy Coalition is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to creating a diverse staff and inclusive environment. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws, the Oakland Literacy Coalition does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin or ancestry, cultural background, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, primary language, citizenship, or immigration status.
The Oakland Literacy Coalition is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this information in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact (510) 280-3547 or firstname.lastname@example.org.